I know it’s not fall yet, but as I hide inside from the heat in the blazing A/C I can pretend. Oh and that isn’t just one of those cutesy recipe titles…… it’s REALLY my mom’s Apple Pie. I highly suggest you give it a try. Now that she gave it to me I plan on making it this weekend. I never eat apple pie anywhere but at my parents house because …. well honestly it isn’t as good anywhere else. So go get some apples and make a mess in your kitchen …. it’s hella fun and makes your house smell delicious !!!!! Thanks mom 🙂
Pie Filling Ingredients:
- 6 cups of apples (7 medium apples or 6 large )
- 1-1/4 cup of white sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoon on cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon on lemon juice
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of ginger (optional)
- 2-1/2 tablespoons of flour
- 4-5 pats of butter for topping
Pie Crust Ingredients: (you can use store bought but it just isn’t the same as doing it yourself)
- 2 cups of flour
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup of oil (extra virgin olive oil works the best)
- pinch of salt
- wax paper
- 1 egg white
This recipe will make both top of bottom of pie crust but very thin. If you want a thicker pie crust double the above crust recipe.
Directions for filling:
- Peel apples and slice to your liking. Large slices will stay firm while thinner slices will become softer during baking.
- Place apple slices and all other pie filling ingredients (except the pats of butter) into a large bowl and mix until well blended.
Directions for crust: (now is the time to preheat oven for 400* )
- In medium bowl mix all ingredients with fork until mixture becomes moist. Then by hand, mix until you can form into a ball. Mixture should be moist (not dry and flaky). If dry, add a little either more oil or milk
- Break into two equal balls of dough.
- Drop one or two drops of water on surface used to roll out the pie crust. (this will hold wax paper in place)
- Place sheet of wax paper large enough to exceed size of your pie pan on your prepared surface
- Take one ball of dough pat down and flatten by hand to approximately 6 inches in diameter or bigger.
- Place second sheet of wax paper on top the flattened dough (by rolling between wax paper on flour is needed to roll dough and it makes it easier to place the dough into the pie pan.
- Take rolling pin and roll out dough until large enough to fit your pie pan. Ensure you have exceeded size of pie pan to accommodate pie pan edges
- Peel off the top wax paper from your rolled pie crust
- Carefully pick up the pie crust and wax paper
- Flip over so crust is inserted in the pie pan (center to ensure crust covers entire pie pan)
- Take fork and poke pie crust bottom a few times
- Brush the egg white on the bottom of the crust I it keeps the bottom from becoming soggy)
- Place pie filling in pie shell and dot the top with the few pats of butter
- Roll the second ball of dough out the same way for the top pie crust
- Place on top of filled pie pan and pinch edges together to seal the crust or use a fork and press down entire edge
- Brush top crust with a very light amount of milk or cream (just a very very light coat or it will make your crust soggy)
- Sprinkle top of crust with sugar (about a tablespoon)
Bake at 400 degrees for 50 minutes. Crust should be golden brown and you will see apple filling bubbling. Now call and invite me over. Let cool and cut. Awesome 😉