This is one of my favorite summer and fall foods, and one of my childhood favorites. There isn’t a family dinner that goes by without my mom making it. I always thought it was her recipe until she recently told me it was her mothers. Well then thank you grandma Jane …. so if your having company anytime soon whip some up, I guarantee you wont be disappointed……..
- 5 lbs of potatoes (red skin or Idaho are the best)
- 5 celery stocks (finely chopped) My daughter and son hate the celery – but if you leave it out it will impact the taste)
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- ½ lb of bacon Miracle whip (may need entire jar)
- Yellow mustard (French’s is best)
- approximately 2 tablespoons Garlic salt (to taste)
- Celery salt (to taste)
- Onion salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
Instructions: (potatoe salad taste best if the potatoes, eggs and bacon are all still hot/warm when you mix all the ingredients together.
1. Boil potatoes in skins until fork is easily inserted or just as a few potatoes begin to split. (if boiled too long potatoes will become mashed when ingredients are mixed.
2.When potatoes are just about done boil the 6 eggs and Wrap bacon in paper towels, place on paper plate and microwave for # of minutes required to ensure bacon is crispy – but not burnt
3. When potatoes are done, pour hot water off the potatoes, cover potatoes with cold water. Take small paring knife and remove the potatoe skins while the potatoes are still hot(they will come off easily). Cut the potatoes (keep in mind if you cut the potatoes into too small of pieces the potatoes will become mashed)
4. Place in large bowl. Peel the hot hard boiled eggs, cut up the eggs (size to your taste) and add to bowl of potatoes Place the hot bacon in a fresh paper towel and crumble the bacon either by hand. You want medium size bacon bits (not small). Pour warn crumbled bacon on top of the hot potatoes in large bowl.
Pour in the celery Add the mustard Add garlic, celery and onion salt plus pepper Spoon in the miracle whip and stir until thoroughly mixed. Taste the warm potatoe salad to confirm if enough seasoning and miracle whip has been added.