Most people aren’t eggplant fans, or they say they aren’t but actually have never tried it. I always have eggplant at the house, that is as long as the stores have good ones available. This recipe is so easy and sooo good. I just made it last night and thought it would make a good post. One tip for anyone not familiar with the big purple shiny balloon-like veg … when picking one out bigger is usually better and never take home a soft, soggy, or bruised one. Now stop giggling and go make dinner 😛
- 1 large or 2 small eggplants, peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices.
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1-1/2 cups Italian bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small container of ricotta cheese
- 1-1/2 cups of shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- dash of salt, pepper, and very small pinch of nutmeg
- your favorite spaghetti sauce
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet, dip the eggplant into the beaten eggs, coat with bread crumbs and fry until each side is golden brown. Remove and place on paper towel lined plate to drain.
- In a medium bowl mix the ricotta, 1/2 cup of mozzarella, and all the spices. Mix well.
- Take the eggplant slices and lay out flat, spread a thin layer of the cheese mix on top of the eggplant and then roll up the eggplant from small end first.
- Place all rolled up eggplants in a casserole dish close to one another, pour a line of sauce over each row of eggplant (do not drowned the eggplant with to much sauce) and top off with the remaining cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Place in the oven uncovered for 20 minutes.
A side of pasta and garlic bread, or a side of steamed broccoli, go well with this recipe. Enjoy 🙂