Most people really love fresh Caprese salad , so putting it on pizza only makes sense ….. it really is delicious.
These ingredients make two 12 inch pizzas.
- 3 medium fresh room temp tomatoes off the vine
- 2 – 8oz balls of soft fresh mozzarella cheese (every store sells it in the fancy cheese area )
- fresh basil ( if unable to get fresh do not use dried basil, get the paste kind )
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups pizza sauce (optional)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- olive oil
- bottle of balsamic vinegar glaze (optional but very very highly recommended )
- After you preheated oven and cooked your crust for 5 min at 500* let cool. If store bought make sure they are 12 inch , recipe for homemade crust : https://tracyskitchen.wordpress.com/2013/11/10/homemade-thin-pizza-crust/
- Slice tomatoes thin and place on top of a few paper towels and sprinkle with salt to sweat out the water. Press a few paper towels on the top after 5 minutes and lightly press out the extra moisture of the tomatoes until the paper towels only have a scant amount of moisture left.
- After crust is slightly cool drizzle just a little olive oil on the crust and spread it around with your fingers to cover the whole top of the pizza crust. Do not over do it with the oil or crust will get soggy … just coat a very thin layer of oil. ( if you are using basil paste add 1/2 teaspoon to a little bit of oil before you spread it on )
- Sprinkle a little minced garlic around ( or a lot if you like garlic )
- If using sauce apply now, you can use up to a cup of sauce per pizza spreading it around but leaving a 1/2 of dry crust on the edge. ( I use less sauce because I love a crisp crust )
- Slice the fresh mozzarella in thin slices and cover the pizza crust ( this is better with a very sharp knife and gentle sawing motion )
- Chop Basil and sprinkle on top the cheese.
- Place dried tomatoes on top of the basil and cheese and then top with 1/2 cup Shredded mozzarella .
- Put directly on the rack in center of the oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until the crust is golden brown for crispy or brown for extra crispy.
- Take out of oven and let cool for a few minutes before you cut.
Drizzle with the balsamic glaze and enjoy 🙂
Note: In the summer you can cook it on the preheated grill on med , covered for 8 to 10 minutes