Pizza like deliciousness without the carbs 🙂
- 1 medium to large eggplant
- olive oil
- dried Italian seasoning
- fresh chopped basil leaves (about 2 tablespoons)
- Parmesan cheese
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- chopped pepperoni (or any other chopped topping you may prefer)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) petite diced tomatoes with liquid (or use 2 cups peeled and diced fresh tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- Cut off both ends of the eggplant; then cut it into 3/4 inch thick slices (trying to make them the same thickness!) Put the eggplant pieces on a double layer of paper towels and sprinkle both sides generously with salt. Let the eggplant sit with the salt on it for about 30 minutes to draw out the liquid.
- Preheat oven to 375*
- While the eggplant sits, make the sauce. Heat 2-3 tsp. olive oil and saute the finely chopped garlic just until it becomes fragrant. (Don’t let it brown.) Add the petite diced tomatoes, tomato paste, dried Italian seasoning, and dried oregano and let the sauce cook at a low simmer until it’s thickened, breaking up the tomatoes with a fork as it cooks. (Add water if needed, a few tablespoons at a time as the sauce cooks, keeping it hot by simmering at very low heat until it’s needed for the eggplant slices.)
- After 30 minutes, wipe the eggplant dry with paper towels (this also removes most of the salt.) Spray a roasting sheet with olive oil or non-stick spray, lay eggplant slices on, brush the tops of the eggplant with olive oil, and sprinkle with dried Italian seasoning. Roast the eggplant about 22-25 minutes (not so long that the slices become mushy and lose their shape)
- After 25 minutes or when eggplant pieces are done, remove eggplant from the oven and turn oven setting to broil.
- Spread parm cheese first , then a few tablespoons of sauce on the top of each eggplant slice, sprinkle with thin basil slices (if using) and top with a generous amount of mozzarella cheese and topping of choice. (pepperoni is best !)
- Put pizzas under the broiler until the cheese is melted and slightly browned. Enjoy !!!!!!