Being from Pa and loving Amish foods pickled beets are one of my favorite things to eat of all time. I cant remember a holiday dinner growing up without my grandmother making a huge jar of them. If you have never tried them you should. You can eat them just as they are, incorporate them in salads, or just for hors d’ouevres plates. They are also a good source of protein and diet friendly ….. if your into that kind of thing 😉
- pinch of ground cloves
- 2 cans whole beets
- 12 hard-cooked eggs (peeled)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- Make 12 hard boiled eggs, then peel. http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_perfect_hard_boiled_eggs/
- Drain beets, but save the juice !! Place beets and eggs in a large container of your choice.
- In a small saucepan, bring the sugar, water, vinegar and reserved beet juice to a boil. Pour over beets and eggs while hot and cool on counter top until room temp .
- Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 48 hours before serving.