I enjoy Thai food. I mean who doesn’t ???
This is a mild dish that is not only plenty of delicious fresh mussels, but kinda doubles as a soup too. It has wonderful flavors of smooth subtle coconut milk curry, with hints of ginger, lime, and shallots. Topped off with fresh chopped cilantro …. and served with baguette slices. Heaven in a bowl.
Ingredients : (serves 4 as a meal – 6 to 8 as an appetizer)
- 2-1/2 lbs of fresh cleaned and de-bearded mussels
- 2 Tbsps of Canola oil
- 3/4 Cup Diced Shallots
- 2 Tbsps Minced Garlic
- 2 Diced Red Bell Peppers
- 1/3 Cup Red Curry Paste
- 2 Tsps Fresh Grated Ginger
- 1/8 Tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Can of Coconut Milk (15oz cans)
- 2 Tbsps Fresh Lime Juice
- Cup of Cilantro for chopping and sprinkling just before serving
- salt to taste if desired
- Lime Wedges for serving
- Baguette for the soup left over
- In a 4-quart pot over medium heat, warm the canola oil. When the oil is shimmering, add the shallots and bell pepper and sauté until the shallots are translucent and the bell pepper is soft, (3 to 4 minutes.)
- Add the curry paste, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds. Add the coconut milk, and lime juice and bring a boil.
- Add the mussels to the pan, discarding any that do not close to the touch. Cover the pan and steam the mussels until they open, lightly stir occasionally so they cook evenly, 4 to 6 minutes. Discard any unopened mussels. Season to taste with salt.
- To serve, spoon the mussels into soup bowls, ladle some of the broth over them and sprinkle with the cilantro. Serve with lime wedges alongside.
This chicken can be kept as a whole chicken breast or shredded to make tacos, enchiladas,on nachos, or my favorite quesadillias . It has a GREAT flavor and you can add how much hot you desire. I make this all the time. It also freezes well if you make a large amount. I love this stuff …..
- 1 – 16oz jar of your favorite salsa ( fresh salsa can be used but the flavor isnt as strong )
- 1 – package of taco seasoning (mild or hot )
- 2 limes juiced
- 3 tablespoons of fresh chopped cilantro – ( add jalapenos too if you like spicy )
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Thats it !!!
- Place the salsa, taco seasoning, lime juice, and cilantro into a slow cooker, and stir to combine.
- Add the chicken breasts to the bottom, and coat with the salsa mixture.
- Cover the cooker, set to High, and cook until the chicken is very tender, about 4 hours. Or, set cooker to Low and cook 6 to 8 hours. Shred chicken with 2 forks put back in the crock pot juices and stir. Leave on warm for 20 minutes then serve or leave whole and enjoy it with Mexican rice !!
This makes a fantastic lunch or in smaller portions a great starter before dinner !!! I prefer to buy medium tortillas and bake them in shell form. and if you dont have the pans you can make them with a muffin pan … http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/taco_bowls.html
- 2 limes- fresh juiced
- 1 lb cooked and chilled and chopped shrimp (I use thawed out frozen)
- 2 medium Tomatoes seeded and chopped (If I have tomatoes to use up I will use up to 3)
- 2 Hass Avocados
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped Cilantro
- 1 heart of Romain Lettuce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 limes- fresh juiced
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 2 heaping tablespoons of low or no fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon honey
- pinch of chopped Cilantro
- *optional* – pinch of chipolte seasoning (or chili powder/Mexican spice)
- In a small bowl combine red onion, lime juice, olive oil, jalapeno,cilantro, and pinch of salt and pepper. Let them marinate at least 5 minutes to mellow the flavor of the onion.
- In a large bowl combine chopped shrimp, avocado, and tomato. Slowly mix the two bowls together blending well. Set aside.
- In a small bowl mix all dressing ingredients together and whisk until very creamy. Adjust to taste.
- Chop up lettuce and place into a salad bowl or taco shell, spoon shrimp mixture on top and drizzle with dressing … enjoy 🙂