This recipe varies to different tastes. You can make this with shrimp, crab, lobster, or chicken. Even without meat. I suggest you season to taste as my tastes may not be the same as yours. But this is a great soup and you can alter the ingredients as seen fit. No recipe is set in stone, so I will give you the ingredients and the base, you finish it with your own amount of seasoning …. have fun cooking, smelling, and eating … bon appetite !
- 1 lb shrimp cooked and cleaned ( I buy cooked frozen, and if they are large I chop them up)
- 1 stick of butter ( preferably unsalted but if not just don’t use a lot of table salt later )
- 1 large onion finely chopped ( anything but a red onion will do )
- 2 large potatoes ( use more if you like, but I only use 2 )
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 – 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper
- 2 cans creamed corn
- 2 cans whole sweet corn
- 1 pint heavy or whipping cream
- 2 cups chicken broth (more if you like a thinner soup)
- 1/4 cup of white wine or sherry ( this is optional, but I like it so I use white wine most often )
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- 1/4 cup sugar ( that is what I use … sometimes I add even more…you may not like it as sweet as I do so add slowly to your own liking)
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Dash or thyme, salt, pepper, cumin, and old bay – also top with old bay when serving.
- Prepare your shrimp.
- In a small pot steam your carrots and potatoes for a few minutes ( about 3-5) until they soften a little but still remain firm.
- In a frying pan saute onions, celery, and red peppers with a little butter until onions are almost transparent.
- In a very large stock or soup pot melt the stick of butter on a med heat, then add the chicken broth.
- After butter and Ch. broth are warm and well mixed add the wine/sherry if using. Continue at med heat.
- Now slowly add in the cream and sugar, and mix well. Cook for a few minutes before adding anything else and stir often.
- Remove about a cup of the mixture and place in a bowl, whisk the flour into it until there are no lumps and then return back into the soup pot. Stir well.
- Now you can add in your Shrimp,onions, peppers, celery, carrots , and potatoes . Add the creamed corn. Drain the canned sweet corn and add as well.
- Mix well and cook for about 5 minutes on med heat. After that turn to a simmer.
- Add the cayenne pepper … stir well.
- Now it is time to start adding the other spices and keep adding and tasting to your own personal flavor.
- When you have altered the soup to your liking simmer on the stove covered for about 30 minutes…. and then let cool at least 15 minutes before eating. If using seafood sprinkle some old bay on top before eating … even more if your from MD 🙂
If you find you prefer a thicker soup you can add more creamed corn or flour, if you want it thinner add more chicken broth. Enjoy… Ive made this several times and in different ways and have never been disappointed … so enjoy 🙂