I don’t know about anywhere else on this planet but I know that here in the Mid-Atlantic in May the heat is starting to go up, and just getting started. So this is the last month for hot comfort food. So it’s time to squeeze in a few favorites before we start melting. As far as Ive seen everyone likes meatballs ( I know I certainly do ! ) …. and here is my favorite way to make them. The best way is in a crock pot. In a slow cooker everything tastes better. Maybe because it slowly cooks flavor into the meat, or maybe it’s because at the end of the day it feels like someone else cooked it. Either way it’s a the best way to make meatballs by far.
I want everyone to always remember to add more of things you like, and less of things you don’t like, ( or don’t have ) recipes are never set in stone…. have just fun with it and enjoy.
You will need:
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef (it doesn’t have to be exact)
- 1 1/4 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs (or cube up some bread and add some Italian seasoning)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley- or 2 tablespoons dry
- 2 cloves garlic, minced- or 1tsp garlic powder
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 (28 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14.25 ounce) can tomato puree
- In a bowl, mix the ground beef, bread crumbs, parsley, garlic, onion, and egg. (it always mixes better with fingers) Shape the mixture into 16 meatballs.
- In a slow cooker, mix the spaghetti sauce, crushed tomatoes, and tomato puree. Place the meatballs into the sauce mixture. Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours.
- and presto … dinner will be waiting for you later without the mess !!!!!!!!