Fudge. Well what can I say ? You either love it or your wrong.
I don’t make it often because I usually get it on the boardwalk, or in Candy Shops, visiting quaint little towns. I do know that it is just like having a tiny square of butter and sugar heaven in your mouth. I will make it during the holidays however. This way I get to enjoy it and then give most of it away. Best part is … its just so damn easy to make. A lot easier than cookies …. 😉
- 1 Full Stick Unsalted Butter (1/2 cup)
- 1/8 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1 Pound Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1 Cup Extra Creamy Peanut Butter
- 2 and 1/3 Cups of Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips *optional*
- Over medium heat, melt the butter in a large saucepan along with the ground nutmeg. Stir in the brown sugar and milk, removing any lumps, and bring to a boil for 2-3 minutes .
- Remove from the heat, and stir in the vanilla, then the peanut butter. Stir well.
- Put the powdered sugar in a large heatproof mixing bowl. Then, pour the hot peanut butter and sugar mixture on top of the powdered sugar, and beat with a spoon until smooth.
- Pour into an 8×8 inch baking pan, cover the top with parchment, and press down to smooth out the top. Set aside to cool slightly for 10 minutes, then place in the fridge to cool completely.
- If you decided you want Chocolate on top (I know I do) I melt the chocolate chips on low until completely smooth. I chop my fudge in little squares and smear just a little chocolate on top. I also sprinkle a little bit of coarse sea salt on top of the chocolate when I have some. But the peanut butter is also pretty darn tasty without all that jazz.