So it’s already October … but the weather hasn’t gotten that cold yet. So I am still enjoying grilling out. Last night I tried a new steak marinade and I loved it. Its great for fall and you don’t need steak sauce. I usually love steak sauce but not with this recipe. Plus it leaves you with an open bottle of wine …. so drink that with your steak 🙂
- 2 inch thick or more steaks (tenderized a little so pound them a bit)
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons of rosemary and thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 clove of garlic or teaspoon of minced garlic
- Place all ingredients in a large zip lock baggie
- Shake well and then place the steaks in the baggie moving around until covered.
- Refrigerate for 1 to 6 hours.
- Place on the grill and welcome to heaven 🙂
You can’t always just have hamburg and hot dogs. Well I’m sure you can but the excitement fades if you make them too often. So every once in awhile I treat my house to some grilled shrimp. They are easy to make and only take about 4-5 minutes to grill. If you like grilled vegetables like I do you can use the same marinade and skewer some of those babies too. I use large chopped pieces of onion, cubed zucchini, squash, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers ect ect. Not all at once just which ever ones I have at the time. Yes it is a healthy way to eat for one meal, and it hasn’t killed us yet 😉
- 2-1/2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1-1/2 lemons juiced-or 2 and 1/2 teaspoons of lemon concentrate
- 3 tablespoons of Dijon mustard (Grey Poupon Country mustard is my favorite)
- 1/2 cup minced basil leaves – or 1/4 cup dried basil
- 3 cloves of garlic minced – or 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of minced garlic (jarred not dry)
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1-2 pounds of medium or large shrimp peeled and deveined (thawed if not fresh)
- metal or wooden skewers – soak wooden ones in water for a few minutes
- In a large bowl mix together oil and melted butter … mix well
- Slowly stir in remaining ingredients
- Add shrimp (and veggies if using) to the bowl and toss well until covered
- Refrigerate for one hour prior to grilling but no longer – the protein in the shrimp will break down and make them soggy if left too long.
- Preheat your grill to high
- Remove shrimp from bowl and skewer through tail and head of shrimp. If using veggies put them on their own skewers.
- Cook shrimp for 4-5 minutes turning over only once and are pink – cook veggies until ends are charred and beginning to soften
If you want another side corn on the cob, coleslaw, or rice are great with this. Oh and beer is also a great chaser 🙂 ENJOY !!