It doesn’t matter what time of year it is Meatloaf is always an option. It is a flash back from our childhoods because our mothers made it at least once a month. I never get tired of it. It’s just one of those “mix it up” and “throw it in the oven” dishes. Nothing fancy, just an American classic. Here is how I throw mine together ….
- 1- 1/2 pounds of hamburg
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- a clove of garlic
- 1 tbsp oil or 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- little salt and pepper
- little parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup chopped celery
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Saute onions and garlic in a pan with the oil/butter until onion is transparent.
- Put aside 1/2 cup of ketchup for the top.
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a large bowl with fingers making sure it gets thoroughly mixed.
- Pat and shape the mix into a small loaf and set inside a non-greased loaf pan.
- Cover the meatloaf with remaining 1/2 cup ketchup
- Place on middle rack in oven uncovered for 60 minutes.
This dish is great with mashed potatoes and green beans. Just like mom made 🙂