Pizza like deliciousness without the carbs 🙂
- 1 medium to large eggplant
- olive oil
- dried Italian seasoning
- fresh chopped basil leaves (about 2 tablespoons)
- Parmesan cheese
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- chopped pepperoni (or any other chopped topping you may prefer)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) petite diced tomatoes with liquid (or use 2 cups peeled and diced fresh tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- Cut off both ends of the eggplant; then cut it into 3/4 inch thick slices (trying to make them the same thickness!) Put the eggplant pieces on a double layer of paper towels and sprinkle both sides generously with salt. Let the eggplant sit with the salt on it for about 30 minutes to draw out the liquid.
- Preheat oven to 375*
- While the eggplant sits, make the sauce. Heat 2-3 tsp. olive oil and saute the finely chopped garlic just until it becomes fragrant. (Don’t let it brown.) Add the petite diced tomatoes, tomato paste, dried Italian seasoning, and dried oregano and let the sauce cook at a low simmer until it’s thickened, breaking up the tomatoes with a fork as it cooks. (Add water if needed, a few tablespoons at a time as the sauce cooks, keeping it hot by simmering at very low heat until it’s needed for the eggplant slices.)
- After 30 minutes, wipe the eggplant dry with paper towels (this also removes most of the salt.) Spray a roasting sheet with olive oil or non-stick spray, lay eggplant slices on, brush the tops of the eggplant with olive oil, and sprinkle with dried Italian seasoning. Roast the eggplant about 22-25 minutes (not so long that the slices become mushy and lose their shape)
- After 25 minutes or when eggplant pieces are done, remove eggplant from the oven and turn oven setting to broil.
- Spread parm cheese first , then a few tablespoons of sauce on the top of each eggplant slice, sprinkle with thin basil slices (if using) and top with a generous amount of mozzarella cheese and topping of choice. (pepperoni is best !)
- Put pizzas under the broiler until the cheese is melted and slightly browned. Enjoy !!!!!!
Most people really love fresh Caprese salad , so putting it on pizza only makes sense ….. it really is delicious.
These ingredients make two 12 inch pizzas.
- 3 medium fresh room temp tomatoes off the vine
- 2 – 8oz balls of soft fresh mozzarella cheese (every store sells it in the fancy cheese area )
- fresh basil ( if unable to get fresh do not use dried basil, get the paste kind )
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups pizza sauce (optional)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- olive oil
- bottle of balsamic vinegar glaze (optional but very very highly recommended )
- After you preheated oven and cooked your crust for 5 min at 500* let cool. If store bought make sure they are 12 inch , recipe for homemade crust : https://tracyskitchen.wordpress.com/2013/11/10/homemade-thin-pizza-crust/
- Slice tomatoes thin and place on top of a few paper towels and sprinkle with salt to sweat out the water. Press a few paper towels on the top after 5 minutes and lightly press out the extra moisture of the tomatoes until the paper towels only have a scant amount of moisture left.
- After crust is slightly cool drizzle just a little olive oil on the crust and spread it around with your fingers to cover the whole top of the pizza crust. Do not over do it with the oil or crust will get soggy … just coat a very thin layer of oil. ( if you are using basil paste add 1/2 teaspoon to a little bit of oil before you spread it on )
- Sprinkle a little minced garlic around ( or a lot if you like garlic )
- If using sauce apply now, you can use up to a cup of sauce per pizza spreading it around but leaving a 1/2 of dry crust on the edge. ( I use less sauce because I love a crisp crust )
- Slice the fresh mozzarella in thin slices and cover the pizza crust ( this is better with a very sharp knife and gentle sawing motion )
- Chop Basil and sprinkle on top the cheese.
- Place dried tomatoes on top of the basil and cheese and then top with 1/2 cup Shredded mozzarella .
- Put directly on the rack in center of the oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until the crust is golden brown for crispy or brown for extra crispy.
- Take out of oven and let cool for a few minutes before you cut.
Drizzle with the balsamic glaze and enjoy 🙂
Note: In the summer you can cook it on the preheated grill on med , covered for 8 to 10 minutes