I love salads, and I eat one almost every day. So being creative and learning to make several different kinds is how I stay interested. I dont do the boring “house salad” …. ever. This recipe makes 2 lunch size salads, for dinner salad just add more of all the ingredients.
- 1 large cooked chicken breast cut in strips or cubed
- 2 hand fulls of mixed greens or baby spinach
- 1 Bosc Pear
- 1/4 cup walnut halves, or shelled pistachios
- 1/4 cup Gorgonzola Cheese crumbles
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Seedless Raspberry Jam
- Put 2 tablespoons of raspberry jam and 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar into a small bowl , whisk until jam has all liquified. (if you like more or less dressing then just adjust using equal parts.)
- Place in microwave for 30 seconds, take out whisk again and set aside.
- Take greens wash, dry, and place into medium bowl .
- Take the pear and cut into slices, then half the slices for smaller pieces. Then add to bowl with greens.
- Add nuts to bowl with greens.
- Take the dressing mixture whisk again, and pour into the bowl and toss well.
- Separate the salad into 2 separate salad dishes.
- Top with chicken and Gorgonzola cheese and serve.
Cook out season has just begun. Not that you cant eat Macaroni Salad all year long, but it just goes great with grilled foods. It’s easy to make and it stays good in the fridge for quite a long time. I usually make a lot so that I have a cold spare side dish hanging out with the intention of being lazy later on in the week. My suggestion would be to either make this the night before, or at least a few hours before your going to serve it.
- 4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni – or corkscrew macaroni
- 1 cup of mayo or Miracle Whip – ( I use both together, it tastes better that way to me )
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2- 1/2 tablespoons of yellow mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 stalks of celery chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 4 eggs (optional)
- 1 green bell pepper chopped (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika (optional)
- Boil the macaroni in a large pot with a dash of salt. Cook until its becoming tender, about 7-8 minutes. You don’t want to overcook macaroni when using it for salads. Hard-boil the eggs – (if using ) at the same time as the macaroni. Drain both and rinse well with cold water until cooled.
- While pasta is cooling in a large bowl mix together the mayo, vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper – mix well. Then stir in the onion, celery, carrots, and peppers. ( If using the eggs chop 2 up and add them to the mixture now) Last step, slowly stir in the cooled off macaroni. Stir well.
- If using eggs, take the last 2 eggs and slice them and place slices on top of the macaroni. Sprinkle with paprika if you have some, cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving ….. Enjoy !!!!!