I love scallops … especially the big ones. I love the texture and the mild seafood taste. This I have only made a few times but I like that its quick and simple on top of being tasty 🙂
- 4 -5 pieces of bacon (do not use processed bacon bits)
- 1 to 1-1/2 pounds of sea scallops (the bigger the better)
- 1 cup chopped yellow or sweet onion
- 5 garlic cloves sliced or 2 tablespoon minced
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 12oz of fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- lemon wedges
- *cocktail sauce – optional*
- Cook bacon in a large cast-iron skillet , if not use at least a non stick skillet, over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in pan; coarsely chop and set bacon aside. Increase heat to high.
- Pat scallops dry with paper towels. Sprinkle scallops evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper and sprinkle on the brown sugar.
- Add scallops to drippings in pan; cook 2 1/2 minutes on each side or until done. Transfer to a plate; cover and keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium-high. Add onion and garlic to pan; sauté 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add half of spinach and the chicken broth ; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add remaining half of spinach; cook 2 minutes or just until wilted, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat; stir in remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Divide spinach mixture among 4 plates; top each serving evenly with crumbled bacon and scallops. Serve immediately with lemon wedges, and cocktail sauce .