If you enjoy comfort food on occasion and feel you deserve to indulge sometimes then this is for you. If you are on a diet or counting calories please do not keep reading because I am not responsible for the 2lbs you will surely gain by eating this cheesy carb sausage masterpiece. I make it in colder months because ….. well it warms my soul and fills my belly. Some use it for a side but I use it for the main course because it is truly filling ……
- 3 cups of white potatoes of your choice, peeled, boiled, cooled and cut into cubes (approx. 1lb)
- 1 lb of Smoked Sausage, skinless ( or for my Pennsylvania friends use Smoked Kielbasa )
- 5 tablespoons of real butter
- 1/8 teaspoon Paprika
- 4 tablespoons of flour
- 2 cups of milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 lb of Velveeta Cheese, cut into small cubes
- 3/4 cup of shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Take Sausage and make sure all the skin is off, cut into 1/2 inch circles and the half moon cut them all. Then cook in a frying pan for about 10 minutes on medium. Turning frequently until slightly browned.
- Then toss together your ready potatoes and browned sausage in a bowl and then place in a 2 quart casserole dish.
- In a sauce pot on low to medium, mix butter, flour , milk, salt, pepper, and just the Velveeta Cheese until completely melted and smooth …. you must stir or whisk constantly as not to burn it to bottom of the pan.
- Pour the cheese mixture over the potatoes and sausage.
- Then sprinkle the Sharp cheese on top and then sprinkle the paprika on the very top.
- Bake at 350* for 35-40 minutes or till top is golden brown.
Note: If you are making this for kids you can use hot dogs of course 🙂