So … the bacon caught your attention didn’t it ?? It also slightly distracts you from the word salad. Do not let the fact that this sounds healthy fool you. It’s ridiculously delicious and easy to make. Don’t worry about the dressing either …. because you can make your own if you’d like. I’ll post that recipe here on this post as well. It makes a great summer dinner. You can throw some cubed chicken on this puppy as well 😉
Ingredients: (serves two hungry people)
- 4 Cups Baby Spinach
- 8 Slices of Bacon fried till crispy, and then crumbled
- 3 Medium Red Apples of choice, chopped
- *optional* 8 to 10 Strawberries
- 3/4 Cup Chopped Walnuts
- 3/4 Cup crumbled Gorgonzola Cheese, or Feta may be used as well.
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 4 Teaspoons Golden or White Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- *optional* 1/2 teaspoon Stone Ground Mustard
- 2 Tablespoons of Real Maple Syrup …. you can use the others but its sweeter so be prepared
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Mix in a small mason jar or anything you have for dressing and shake shake shake …. boom.
Because you don’t need to be a rocket scientist to make a salad , my only instructions will be …. fry that bacon up first and set aside. Mix all the dressing ingredients … shake and refrigerate. Then throw all that good salad stuff together and put as much dressing on as you like. You can always make more ….. and you will because its soooooooo good.
I love scallops … especially the big ones. I love the texture and the mild seafood taste. This I have only made a few times but I like that its quick and simple on top of being tasty 🙂
- 4 -5 pieces of bacon (do not use processed bacon bits)
- 1 to 1-1/2 pounds of sea scallops (the bigger the better)
- 1 cup chopped yellow or sweet onion
- 5 garlic cloves sliced or 2 tablespoon minced
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 12oz of fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- lemon wedges
- *cocktail sauce – optional*
- Cook bacon in a large cast-iron skillet , if not use at least a non stick skillet, over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in pan; coarsely chop and set bacon aside. Increase heat to high.
- Pat scallops dry with paper towels. Sprinkle scallops evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper and sprinkle on the brown sugar.
- Add scallops to drippings in pan; cook 2 1/2 minutes on each side or until done. Transfer to a plate; cover and keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium-high. Add onion and garlic to pan; sauté 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add half of spinach and the chicken broth ; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add remaining half of spinach; cook 2 minutes or just until wilted, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat; stir in remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Divide spinach mixture among 4 plates; top each serving evenly with crumbled bacon and scallops. Serve immediately with lemon wedges, and cocktail sauce .