So … the bacon caught your attention didn’t it ?? It also slightly distracts you from the word salad. Do not let the fact that this sounds healthy fool you. It’s ridiculously delicious and easy to make. Don’t worry about the dressing either …. because you can make your own if you’d like. I’ll post that recipe here on this post as well. It makes a great summer dinner. You can throw some cubed chicken on this puppy as well 😉
Ingredients: (serves two hungry people)
- 4 Cups Baby Spinach
- 8 Slices of Bacon fried till crispy, and then crumbled
- 3 Medium Red Apples of choice, chopped
- *optional* 8 to 10 Strawberries
- 3/4 Cup Chopped Walnuts
- 3/4 Cup crumbled Gorgonzola Cheese, or Feta may be used as well.
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 4 Teaspoons Golden or White Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- *optional* 1/2 teaspoon Stone Ground Mustard
- 2 Tablespoons of Real Maple Syrup …. you can use the others but its sweeter so be prepared
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Mix in a small mason jar or anything you have for dressing and shake shake shake …. boom.
Because you don’t need to be a rocket scientist to make a salad , my only instructions will be …. fry that bacon up first and set aside. Mix all the dressing ingredients … shake and refrigerate. Then throw all that good salad stuff together and put as much dressing on as you like. You can always make more ….. and you will because its soooooooo good.
Summer is here again and that means being outdoors hanging at BBQ’s and other “outsy” activities . Now I love ice cold beer straight out of a cooler … but not all the time. You all know its going to bloat you, and after awhile …. well frankly …. you get tired of the same taste over and over. So last summer I learned a new little drink that is fruity, lite, and non-bloaty. (and some of the guys usually have some as well … in a red solo cup of course) Oh and it just screams summer time 🙂 Now Im going to give it to you in 1 drink form … but in my world … I measure it out into a gallon pitcher and just keep pouring it over ice in my glass. I wouldn’t put it in a pitcher with ice and let it melt all day, it will just dilute the flavor of the drink… and no one wants a watered down drink ….enjoy.
3 ounces of White Zinfadel
1 ounce Strawberry Liqueur
2 ounces Cranberry Juice
1 splash of Orange Juice
Fresh quartered Strawberries
Mix together … shake or stir …. pour over ice ….. and kick back. Welcome to summer 🙂
I’m a smoothie lover. When I’m on a boardwalk or at the mall I’m always looking around for the smoothie stands. It’s awful that that charge so much for something so easy and cheap to make. So I now just make them at home and don’t use the mixes with all that sugar. They are great in the summer, and a good way to trick the kids into having something thats actually good for them. You can use whatever fruits you like… Im just a sucker for the strawberry-banana.
- 1-1/2 cup strawberries (you can use frozen but if they are in syrup dont add anymore sugar)
- 1 or 2 bananas – if you like a strong banana flavor then I suggest 2
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (if you have strawberry or banana yogurt that will work just as well)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon of sugar or honey
- hand full of ice the amount doesn’t have to be precise
- Place the ice in to bottom of the blender and chop it up for a few seconds.
- Add the rest of the ingredients
- Blend until smooth – pour- and enjoy 🙂
- If you want to get all fancy about it you can toss some whip cream and a cherry on top and garnish the side with a sliced strawberry… Im just sayin……………. 😉