So … the bacon caught your attention didn’t it ?? It also slightly distracts you from the word salad. Do not let the fact that this sounds healthy fool you. It’s ridiculously delicious and easy to make. Don’t worry about the dressing either …. because you can make your own if you’d like. I’ll post that recipe here on this post as well. It makes a great summer dinner. You can throw some cubed chicken on this puppy as well 😉
Ingredients: (serves two hungry people)
- 4 Cups Baby Spinach
- 8 Slices of Bacon fried till crispy, and then crumbled
- 3 Medium Red Apples of choice, chopped
- *optional* 8 to 10 Strawberries
- 3/4 Cup Chopped Walnuts
- 3/4 Cup crumbled Gorgonzola Cheese, or Feta may be used as well.
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 4 Teaspoons Golden or White Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- *optional* 1/2 teaspoon Stone Ground Mustard
- 2 Tablespoons of Real Maple Syrup …. you can use the others but its sweeter so be prepared
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Mix in a small mason jar or anything you have for dressing and shake shake shake …. boom.
Because you don’t need to be a rocket scientist to make a salad , my only instructions will be …. fry that bacon up first and set aside. Mix all the dressing ingredients … shake and refrigerate. Then throw all that good salad stuff together and put as much dressing on as you like. You can always make more ….. and you will because its soooooooo good.
Oh it’s not fancy and it’s not hard to make … and if you like Brie then you will love this for lunch !!!!
- 2 slices of bread – I used the Italian that I have to cut myself because I like my bread a little thicker 🙂
- Brie sliced up enough to cover the slice of bread
- 5 thin apple slices – again enough to cover the slice of bread
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- chopped walnuts – or pecans
- Place a little butter in the pan and warm up the apple slices for a minute or two and set aside
- Butter up one side of each slice of bread
- Place butter side down in your pan on low to medium heat
- Cover the slice with the Brie, then evenly spread the brown sugar on the Brie.
- Sprinkle on a few walnuts to your liking and then place apples on top.
- When both sides are well browned remove from heat and cover for a minute or two to make sure all cheese has melted.
- Cut in half and totally enjoy ………..mmmmmmmmm !!!
There was a lot of rain so far this year and the zucchini’s grew much bigger than usual. I don’t usually eat zucchini but I will eat zucchini bread. It tastes like carrot cake to me and I love carrot cake. One big zucchini will make 2 loaves of bread… I know this because I just made some yesterday and it turned out awesome 😉
Ingredients: (this will make 2 loaves )
- 3- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1- 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 beaten eggs
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 cups of seeded, grated zucchini
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 500*
- In a large bowl mix all dry ingredients together
- In a separate bowl mix together all wet ingredients
- Slowly add wet ingredients into the dry
- After the mix is blended well fold in the cup of nuts
- Use cooking spray or grease 2 standard loaf pans
- Pour equal amounts into pans and bake for one hour.
It is optional but I always buy cream cheese icing and either drizzle over the top after its cooled (I do this by placing the icing in a small baggie and making a very tiny hole in a corner to squeeze it out of ) or I just smear it on like a cake … but that’s the sugar junkie in me 🙂 Some people even add a cup of chocolate chips for the kids……enjoy !!