If you have never had spaghetti squash … don’t knock it until you try it. I love it. It is delicious if cooked properly and stuffed with the right stuffs. I made this dish recently and I plan on making this a again and again !! I didnt put specific amounts in this recipes because some people will want more or less and it wont matter how much you add 🙂
- 2 medium spaghetti squash (or just 1 if serving just 2 people)
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- your favorite marinara sauce
- your favorite meatballs ( I make mine smaller for this dish )
- Parmesan cheese
- shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 400*
- Cut squash in half. Be careful it has very tough skin. (microwave for 2 minutes if you are having a hard time )
- Scoop out all the seeds and pulp leaving a very thick wall.
- Rub inside and out with olive oil. (Just enough to coat dont go crazy or it will get soggy)
- Generously salt and pepper the squash
- Place on a cookie sheet face up in the oven for 45 minutes (this gives you time to make meatballs:) )
- When done remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. (You MUST let it cool! )
- Take a fork and scrap in all directions to make spaghetti (not too hard you want to leave a small amount of wall and not break the skin)
- Add a little parm , then meatballs, then some sauce, and then top with mozzarella cheese.
- Place back in the oven on broil until cheese is melted and browning.
- Remove from oven and omg enjoy !!!
I don’t know about anywhere else on this planet but I know that here in the Mid-Atlantic in May the heat is starting to go up, and just getting started. So this is the last month for hot comfort food. So it’s time to squeeze in a few favorites before we start melting. As far as Ive seen everyone likes meatballs ( I know I certainly do ! ) …. and here is my favorite way to make them. The best way is in a crock pot. In a slow cooker everything tastes better. Maybe because it slowly cooks flavor into the meat, or maybe it’s because at the end of the day it feels like someone else cooked it. Either way it’s a the best way to make meatballs by far.
I want everyone to always remember to add more of things you like, and less of things you don’t like, ( or don’t have ) recipes are never set in stone…. have just fun with it and enjoy.
You will need:
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef (it doesn’t have to be exact)
- 1 1/4 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs (or cube up some bread and add some Italian seasoning)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley- or 2 tablespoons dry
- 2 cloves garlic, minced- or 1tsp garlic powder
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 (28 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14.25 ounce) can tomato puree
- In a bowl, mix the ground beef, bread crumbs, parsley, garlic, onion, and egg. (it always mixes better with fingers) Shape the mixture into 16 meatballs.
- In a slow cooker, mix the spaghetti sauce, crushed tomatoes, and tomato puree. Place the meatballs into the sauce mixture. Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours.
- and presto … dinner will be waiting for you later without the mess !!!!!!!!